Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Things aren't looking very great. Not at all. But is it a time to give up?

What exactly does the three letters SYF mean to you as a person from a performing arts CCA? What does it mean to you as a sportsman? What does it mean to you as a person from the uniformed groups?

To the sportsmen, it's but just another competition. To the uniformed groups, it's but just another avenue for golds. To the musicians/performers, I believe it's pretty much everything. Perhaps it's the lack of exposure as a member of the RIGE. For 4 years, we struggle through the ordeal just to prepare ourselves for this one competition. For all the other CCAs? I'm pretty certain they've gone for at least one other competition, or performed on a greater stage than the measly stages in Singapore where the only audience are people from RI/RGS/RJC. RV has gone to Poland, RISE to USA (was it NYC? :X), and I'm pretty sure the rest has done some other performances than their annual concerts too.

RIGE? Just the annual concert. And it isn't much to be proud of. The only difference between Arts @ the Atrium and the concert, is the ticket fee. And of course watching the junior ensembles play and hearing the rock band making noise, which results in a vicious cycle of the audience making more noise and so forth.

And that's all the exposure we get for SYF. For an event that means everything for a musician, that's way too much practice, isn't it? Obviously not. (duh) And we're expecting a GwH?

I'm starting to not believe in this thing that they call SYF. Silver? Silver? Silver? GOLD? Silver? GOLD? And we have people claiming that the silvers were due to 'the judges disagreed with out interpretation' and 'they have a quota of 5 golds per day contrary to what the newspapers claim' and 'grand and fast music tend to score better'.

And this has resulted in the many unhappy people that you see walking around all in white. All thanks to the 3 big letters accompanied by a further 6 letters, but to put them down because 'I don't like your interpretation' and 'I don't like your choice of song' just isn't fair. Is this how we spread the wonders of music and arts?

To the others, stay strong. Don't lose faith in your beliefs in music and performing arts. To RIGE, good luck. I never really believed in the guitar in the first place. I'm making this post sound so morbid, but RI has made us so competitive, losing is just painful...

'They'd just say "Oh my God! That's horrible!" and then they'll go back to eating their dinners.'

Wesley at 7:37 PM