Monday, April 13, 2009

Figures of speech is exciting and fun! And funny too. I think it'll take a while for me to use them properly D: Or at least to use them intentionally and know what I'm using and how to use it effectively. Meanwhile, let's just kope some off grammar.about.com (:

"Behind me, I heard a young woman of 25 say, 'If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.' Do NOT think about that statement too long or blood will shoot out your nose."(comedian Lewis Black) [DEHORTATIO (:]

"I won't sleep in the same bed with a woman who thinks I'm lazy! I'm going right downstairs, unfold the couch, unroll the sleeping ba--uh, goodnight."(Homer Simpson in The Simpsons) [aposiopesis/interruptio/interpellatio (lol, about says it's an alternative form, but it's latin. and i think it's better if it keeps away from english xD)]

"Expect nothing. Live frugally on surprise."(Alice Walker, quoted in New York magazine) [diatyposis]

"Curl Up and Dye"(a beauty salon in London) [paronomasia (a.k.a. pun xD), but DEFINITELY unintentional, still funny nevertheless xD]

"You are free to execute your laws, and your citizens, as you see fit."(Star Trek: The Next Generation) [grammar.about says zeugma, but I think it's more syllepsis, just pretend that it's funny and laugh at it like it's funny]

"You held your breath and the door for me."(Alanis Morissette, "Head over Feet") [:O, syllepsis is a powerful thing innit?]

And this thing is so fun I can't be bothered about philo COI tomorrow. Sigh. Given my pathetic, noob, low-level, lousy, narrow knowledge of governments, I guess I'd better get started.

And as shown above, it's obviously necessary to have a good command of vocabularly to use figures of speech effectively. Damn.

Wesley at 10:12 PM